This page sets out the terms and conditions for your use of Sanofi’s social media channels as detailed below (the “Social Media Channels”), including when you upload content to our Social Media Channels, make contact with other users on our Social Media Channels, link to our Social Media Channels, or interact with our Social Media Channels in any other way.
By using our Social Media Channels, you confirm that you accept these terms and that you agree to comply with (obey) them. If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our Social Media Channels. We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
Social networking sites, such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn, have their own terms and conditions of use which you will also need to comply with. You should review these terms, conditions and policies, which can be accessed via their websites or apps, before you use our Social Media Channels. Where there is a conflict between our social media terms and conditions (as detailed on this page) and the terms and conditions of the relevant social networking site, the social networking site’s terms and conditions will prevail (i.e. the social networking site’s terms and conditions will be the only ones that apply).
Click on the links below to go straight to more information on each area:
1. Social media channels
Sanofi is made up of different legal entities; in the UK Aventis Pharma Limited and Opella Healthcare UK Limited (“Sanofi” or “We”) has an active presence on the following external social networks:
- Twitter; and
(the “Social Media Channels”)
Our Social Media Channels are operated by Sanofi. For more information about our operating companies and how to contact us, refer to the Contact Us page.
2. We may make changes to these terms
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our Social Media Channels, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time. These terms were most recently updated on 22 September 2021.
3. External social networks
While Sanofi has official profiles on its Social Media Channels, this does not mean that we are affiliated with (officially connected with) Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other external social network. We do not endorse (support) Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other external social network and are not responsible for their products or services.
The views and/or opinions expressed by any third party (users that are not controlled by Sanofi) using our Social Media Channels are those of that third party and do not necessarily reflect the views of Sanofi nor should they be understood to be an endorsement or promotion (supported) by Sanofi. A “follow back”, “re-tweeting”, “liking” posts, commenting on posts, sharing posted messages or information outside of our Social Media Channels, marking posts as “favourites” or connecting with third parties on LinkedIn does not constitute an endorsement by Sanofi (i.e. this does not mean Sanofi supports those posts).
We do not have any control over how Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other social network use the information you share with them, which may also be used by other third parties linked to their website or app. We are not responsible for the privacy, security or any other policies implemented (applied) by Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other social network or third party linked to their website or app. If you access Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn or any other social network, you do so at your own risk and Sanofi disclaims any liability (does not accept any fault) for any losses or other damage you suffer as a result of your use of those services or failure to read or comply with their terms, conditions and policies.
4. Prohibited uses
We welcome comments and the sharing of content that we post on our Social Media Channels (subject to these terms), provided that these activities are carried out only for lawful purposes (purposes that are allowed by law).
You may not use our Social Media Channels:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent (not allowed by the law), or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors (children) in any way;
- To bully, insult (offend), intimidate (frighten) or humiliate (embarrass) any person;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our Content Standards;
- To transmit, or procure (cause) the sending of, any unsolicited (not asked for) or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely (harmfully) affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
5. Content standards
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our Social Media Channels (“Contribution”), and to any interactive services associated with them.
The content standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.
We will determine, in our sole discretion, whether a Contribution breaches the Content Standards.
A Contribution must:
- Be accurate (where it states facts);
- Be genuinely (in a truthful way) held (where it states opinions); and
- Comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
A Contribution must not:
- Be defamatory of any person (damaging to a person’s reputation);
- Be obscene (rude), offensive, hateful or inflammatory (provoking an angry reaction from a person);
- Bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate;
- Promote sexually explicit (inappropriate) material;
- Include child sexual abuse material;
- Promote violence;
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark (types of legal rights) of any other person;
- Be likely to deceive any person;
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- Promote any illegal activity;
- Be in contempt of court (unfairly influencing a court case);
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- Impersonate (pretend to be) any person, or misrepresent your identity (be untruthful about your identity) or affiliation (connection) with any person;
- Give the impression that the Contribution comes from Sanofi or any of its group companies (other Sanofi companies), if this is not the case;
- Advocate (support), promote, incite (encourage) any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse;
- Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism (i.e. contains any statement that has anything to do with acts of terrorism);
- Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites;
- Include personal information relating to you or others (for example, names, email addresses, private addresses, phone numbers or health information); or
- Promote prescription only medicines (medicines that you can only get from your doctor).
6. How we manage and moderate content
When we consider that a breach of these terms and conditions has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
We reserve (keep) the right to contact you where we have received complaints about a Contribution you have posted on our Social Media Channels and we may ask you to remove a Contribution where it does not comply with these terms. We also reserve the right to moderate any Contribution posted on our Social Media Channels. Where we moderate material before it is posted to our Social Media Channels, we may, at our discretion (decide), refrain (hold back) from publishing a Contribution posted by you, temporarily or permanently. Similarly, where we moderate material after it is posted to our Social Media Channels, we may choose to remove a Contribution posted by you, immediately, temporarily or permanently. Further, we reserve the right to issue a warning to you or to suspend or terminate your access to all or any of our Social Media Channels, immediately, temporarily or permanently, in the event that you fail to comply with the terms of this policy. We shall be under no obligation to notify you of any such decision.
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our Social Media Channels, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. Please note, however, that sometimes it may not be possible for us to moderate our Social Media Channels and that our Social Media Channels may potentially be abused by third parties. Therefore, we cannot promise that unsuitable third party material (material that is not posted by Sanofi) will never appear on our Social Media Channels. We expressly exclude our liability (do not accept any fault) for any loss or damage arising from the use of our Social Media Channels by a user in contravention of these terms and conditions (breaks these rules), whether they are moderated or not.
We exclude our liability (do not accept any fault) for all action we may take in response to breaches of these terms and conditions.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor (child) is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not fool proof. Minors (children) who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Our Social Media Channels are directed to people residing in the United Kingdom. We do not represent that content available on or through our Social Media Channels is appropriate for use or available in other locations.
7. Data privacy
8. Third party websites
Links to third party websites (links which are not controlled by Sanofi) may be provided by us, users of our Social Media Channels or third parties. We are not responsible for such websites or their content or availability. We do not endorse (support) or make any promises about them, or any material on these websites nor any results that may be obtained from using them. If you access these websites this will be entirely at your own risk and we accept no responsibility for any loss or damage that may arise.
Links to downloadable software websites that may be available on social media platforms or third party websites that are linked on our Social Media Channels are not provided, endorsed (supported) or checked by us, and we are not responsible for such software or liable (responsible) for any difficulties or consequences associated with downloading the software. Any software you download is at your own risk.
The content on our Social Media Channels is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from (not taking), any action on the basis of the content on our Social Media Channels. Any medical advice or information posted on this page is not intended to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional. You should always consult your own doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional. We will not be liable for any reliance you place on the content of our Social Media Channels.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on this page, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees (promises) that any content on our Social Media Channels is accurate, complete, or up to date. We will have no liability (not accept fault) to you if it is not.
We aim for open, respectful communication on the relevant topics within our Social Media Channels. While, where possible, we do conduct some moderation, we do not control, verify or approve, and are not liable for, material posted on our Social Media Channels by third parties. We do not endorse, support, represent or guarantee (promise) the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of any material posted on our Social Media channels by third parties. You understand that by using our Social Media Channels, you may be exposed to material that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, or, in some cases, postings that have been mislabelled or are otherwise misleading. Any use or reliance on content or material posted on or available through our Social Media Channels is at your own risk. We will not be liable (accept fault) or responsible in any way for any reliance placed on such content.
Please keep in mind that other users of our Social Media Channels who provide material may claim expertise or standing that they do not, in fact, possess. You should give careful thought before following any advice posted by other users who are not verifiable (proved) as representing us.
We do not endorse or approve any advertisements posted by third parties on our Social Media Channels. Any use or reliance is at your own risk.
As noted above, you should not post material to our Social Media Channels that contains personal information relating to you or others. We will not be liable (accept fault) or responsible for loss or damage resulting from you sharing your personal information or personal information belonging to anyone else on our Social Media Channels.
We only make our Social Media Channels available for domestic (personal) and private use. You cannot use them for any commercial or business purpose. We will not be liable to you for any indirect or consequential losses you suffer (for example loss of profits or loss of opportunity).
Nothing in the terms of this policy shall exclude or limit our liability for (i.e. we will accept fault for): (a) death or personal injury caused by our negligence (failure to take proper care); or (b) fraud; or (c) fraudulent misrepresentation; or (d) any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under the laws of England and Wales.
10. Which country’s laws apply to any disputes?
If you are a consumer, please note that the terms of this policy, its subject matter and its formation are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction except that if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland (i.e. this policy is ruled by the laws in England and the courts in England and Wales).
If you are a business, the terms of this policy, its subject matter and its formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Date of preparation January 2023